Sunday, May 18, 2008

Positives and negatives.


I'm really trying to keep my hopes up...and not think about the negative aspects of my life right now. If I do that, I think I will go crazy or very upset. What I need is to accept the things that cannot change (i.e. living in my family's basement in a small midwestern town with no cultural diversity, no car, and having little money until a month from now when my first pay check comes which means I have been eating peanut butter and ramen noodles too often) and act upon and change the things that can. I can change how I deal with the things that cannot change it....like take walks outside, read outside on the Iowa State University campus which is beautiful, go to the public library and check some books I would love to read, draw, write.

There are positives about my life, I am in a great relationship with someone I love, I just got a great job that started last Friday and tomorrow will be Monday and again I will be busy with a full work week. And tomorrow starts extended hours at the library I go to and weekend hours, the bus line stop is right in front of our house, I have enough money to get to nyc for my sister's wedding, I stopped drinking coffee since I came here and drink green tea daily instead, I have a potentially exciting prospect at University of Cincinnati for after this current job ends, I'm getting along fairly well with my dad and Monika, I don't need to bring my bridesmaid dress in to be altered, I ordered my shoes which will arrive in time for the wedding. I didn't even realize there were more positives than negatives until I wrote them all down. It's funny how we can become so focused on the negatives that we can let one negative outweigh ten positives, until we change our frame of mind.

I think I'm going to the public library soon to get more books and maybe DVD's and possibly work at Cafe Diem after that.

No comments: