Monday, May 12, 2008

Cincinnati...



It was interesting to return to Cincinnati, although the whole time I was there I don't think I really noticed where I was specifically. Probably because the main reason I was there was to see my partner. I did have such a good time and I enjoyed doing everything we did in Cincinnati, mainly because of who I was doing them with!

I decided to go to Cincinnati two days early-- on Monday, April 28th, instead of Wednesday, April 30th which was such a good idea because I was so ready to leave New York City. I was itching to leave every day for a couple weeks before I left. I found that this is something I always do-- wanting to leave where I am to somewhere different. I swear, I should be a professional adventurer, journalist, photographer, archaeologist. hehe. Just like now I'm itching to be in Cincinnati. The only time I don't itch to be somewhere else is being with Jen. It feels right, like home.

So....to start off this wonderful trip I arrived Monday and was so tired, those long bus trips are something else. They are so trying...I always feel so accomplished when I get to my destination. Like I climbed Mount Everest or something :) During my stay I saw so many beautiful sides of Cincinnati and Kentucky. We did things like visit museums like the Cincinnati Art Museum and the Taft Museum. They were both different experiences...I loved seeing the artwork with Jen and seeing the paintings and what not through her eyes. The Taft Museum may become one of my favorite spots in Cincinnati, we went on a free Wednesday....it is a huge mansion with artifacts and objects making it into a living historical house. The rooms are small and mischievous....I almost felt as if we were inside the game Clue. On the first floor there is a little tea room/cafe which was so cute and elegant. I would love to have a little birthday lunch or breakfast with a great friend there.

We spent a lot of time walking outdoors which was great for both of us. We went to Eden Park one day when we went to the Cincinnati Art Museum and ate lunch by a big fountain. We also went to Krohn's Conservatory where we saw the annual butterfly show. We took a day trip to Kincaid Lake one day which was great. We packed a picnic, including a strawberry Panzanella we cooked the day before. I must say I love cooking with Jen. It's great fun being in the kitchen together, splitting up the tasks, and helping each other in little ways. So we spread out a blanket by the water and had our picnic...we also brought along an art book and looked through that together. Before lunch we took a walk down a trail, which was one of the beautiful sites I've ever seen. My idea of true beauty is the "enchanted forest" hehe....where there are dew drops, glistening streams of sun, flowing water, animals, insects....

We also spent time with a number of Jen's friends, which was so great. Half of them I have met before and half of them not. So it was really wonderful. Seeing all of them was wonderful. We had dinner at Myra's, our favorite restaurant, with friends Regina and Paul and then saw a good movie after that at Esquire Theater-- My Blueberry Nights. I loved the movie, it was perfect for such a rich dreamy vacation with Jen. The images and the soundtrack were just so...tasty. hehe....We also had dinner at Amol's India with Jen's brother. I like him a lot. He's so cute, nice, creative...And then spent a great evening with Jen's mother. Jen's mom made us dinner that tasted SO GOOD. I'm not sure if it tasted so good because of the actual food- that I can believe- but also I think because her mom made it for us. Then we played a game of Scrabble while eating yummy desserts and watched the tv show House. My last night in Cincinnati we saw her friend Joel and his roommate Brad. They are so much fun and nice. We played video games, ate, talked, Joel showed us his artwork....it was fun.

Also, another thing I did in Cincinnati I really liked was go to church with Jen. Her church is great-- the people in it, the preacher, it is also very pretty with stained glass windows. Afterwards there was a reception, I get nervous around lot's of people socializing but it was nice and we ate yummy cupcakes.

The trip on the bus from Cincinnati to Ames was quite nice (aside from the fact that I missed Jen so much)...the buses were pretty empty so I had the seat next to me free most of the time and so slept a lot. When I wasn't sleeping I gazed out the window to the landscapes or read. Of course I thought all was fine, except that when I got off the bus I wasn't used to solid ground and lost balance almost toppling over hehe...and then I thought I was rested but fell asleep around 9pm here.

Now I have great memories of our trip together but I feel the blues sometimes when I think about Jen because I want so much for us to be together and I want to see her again. It was like a 10 day tease. In a good way...I miss her though.

No comments: